1) Get the best exchange rate : Plan your expenses in advance and get your foreign exchange at one go .This will help you negotiate with the bank for the exchange rate applicable. Do not exchange your currency at the hotel; generally they give around 1 to 2 % less than the bank exchange rate.
2) Travel Fares: Travel fares are a great place to hunt for bargains. You can compare the different rates and look for discounts. If nothing else you can do your initial research on options available in these fares.
3) Hotel booking: Hotels are a major cost in travelling. There are many online hotel booking websites where you can compare hotel rates. Do your research before booking hotels. Make your travel plans well in advance to get the best discounts. Also ensure that breakfast is included in the room rate. Most hotels will have breakfast included. Generally the spread is enough for a brunch. If you need to lose a few kilos this is the best time to do so. Skip the lunch and have an early dinner.
4) Budget airlines: If you are on a budget use the budget airlines. Look for discount air tickets and book it at the lowest price.
5) Travel during the low season: Do you love the monsoon. Try to travel during the low season. This rates you will get is at least 40 % cheaper than the peak season rates. You will also enjoy a less crowded hotel and can enjoy your candle light dinner in solitude.
6) Localize: If you have to eat dhokla in Bali, then why come to Bali in the first place. Enjoy the local food, the local culture and the local way of life. Taste the local fruits for lunch, it will be cheap and healthy. Stay at a ‘bed and breakfast’ room with a local family and live the local life.
7) Rent a cycle: Cycle around the city to immerse in its culture. That’s why they say most of the good things in life are free. It’s the cheapest and most healthy option to move around the sleepy little small town of your dreams. Use the local transport where you can’t use the cycle. Take the challenge of taking a ride on the Mumbai local train if you dare to do so.
8) Shopping: Avoid the boring malls for once and try the local market. If you have to buy the branded bag why did you travel all the way to Bangkok? Try the local market, make some local friends and enjoy bargain shopping.
9) Telephone bills: The first thing you do once you clear the immigration is take a local SIM. This will save you a lot of rooming charges on your telephone bill. Do not spend on a data package it’s not required. . Use the hotel Wifi instead. Wifi is now available almost everywhere. You will not need a data roaming unless you are climbing Mount Everest.
10) Create a travel blog: Do you want to make some extra money? Are you a great photographer? Do you enjoy writing? Are you the foodie who will go around the world looking for exotic food? If so start a blog and earn some money. Motivate yourself to write about your first bite on the scorpion kebab you had on the streets of Shanghai.